A friend recently asked me for advice with her first market. Although I have only done a few of them, I thought I would try my hand at a Top 10 list (no particular order). I just posted this list on Dust Team for others to read as well ... so any comments would be useful!
1. Make sure you have plenty of business cards and postcards to write on for people and always take down names to follow-up, if they walk away with your card chances are they will look but not purchase.
2. A clip board to collect names and emails is a good idea.
3. Have a receipt book with ABN just in case someone asks.
4. Organise for friends to come in and give you 20 minute breaks for lunch etc. It might be nice to be a martyr and work all day but you will be pooped by the end of it.
5. Develop a brag book/portfolio of the work that you have done and the direction you are going in.
6. Don't talk wholesale prices at a retail event, if a shop is interested in your stuff follow-up by going to their shop and seeing if your product fits in.
7. Never say "I didn't get time to make that", rather " I have all sold out!" sounds better!
8. Have a few sheets of gift wrap, I know it is a little thing, but that customer will return if you go the extra mile.
9. Make sure your blog is up to date so that when people follow-up on your business card they are coming across a well developed blog with content in it.
10. Have fun! Laugh, enjoy yourself!
NB. There is no mention of stock levels. Take as much as you can!
And if you want me to make you a custom money belt for your market debut, let me know!!
Other articles that I have found that have pearls of wisdom:
Using Playfic to write interactive fiction - During my university years, I played MUD's with a number of friends. As we sat in the vax lab at Uni the adventures were rich and satisfying. I was surpris...
1 week ago