- Oven switched on at 220 degrees
- Roughly 3 cups of self raising flour into a bowl, add 1 table spoon of sugar (different sugars, different taste), pinch of salt and pinch of baking powder. Stir dry ingredients together.
- Rub in 80g of room temperature butter. If it comes straight from the fridge then cut it up into cubes and give it 10-15 minutes to come upto room temperature. The dry mixture should be nice and crumbly with no lumpy bits.
- Once dry ingredients and butter is properly rubbed in, add a splash of milk and stir with knife. Keep on doing the splash/stir thing until the knife can stand up in the mixture by itself. If it gets too sloppy, then add more flour.
- Turn out onto either clean bench, or a sheet of glad bake with a dash of flour and gently kneed until the dough comes together.
- Press out until it is 1 inch thick and then either use a glass to cut out circles or use a knife to make shapes.
- Brush with milk, then into the oven for 10-15 minutes.
... roll out the scone mixture, spread with nutella then roll up into a log and put in fridge for 30 minutes to set. Cut up into rounds, sprinkle with brown sugar and then into the oven.
... works well with soy milk and Nutelex as the non-lactose substitution.