Ingredients: makes 50 ....
250g of plain flour
1/2 tea spoon of salt
2 tsp of ground cinnamon
225g of unsalted butter at room temperature
225g of caster sugar (you can use normal sugar but it will be a bit grainy)
1 teaspoon of vanilla essence.
I use my benchtop mixer for these, but you can do it by hand if you wish
- Put oven on at 180/190 degrees
- Cream the butter and sugar until white light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla essence and egg to the fluffy mixture.
- Combine all dry ingredients together and then add to the wet mixture one spoonful at a time.
- Split the mixture up into 4 equal parts.
- With floured hands, mould the mixture into round logs, cover in foil and then into the freezer to harden.
- This mixture is really hard to work with unless it is partly frozen- yes I have tried!
- Once it is hard, bring out of the freezer and slice into 5mm slices and then onto a baking tray. The cookies will spread when cooked in the oven, so leave plenty of space around them. This recipe is about 4 trays worth of cookies (yum!)
- When cooked nice and golden, onto a drying rack with a spatula.
- Make cup of coffee
- Eat slightly warm cookies!
- Add some currants
- Add some orange zest
- Add christmas flavours like nutmeg
- You could also mould it into a flat pan and cut the mixture into squares once it is cooked (just like you would shortbread)