Sunday 24 June 2018

Noah Greenfeld

This is the first time I have come across Noah, I saw a link on the Epiphany ASD blog.  Linked to the blog is a 60 minutes story about Noah's story.


For me, it is the first time that I have heard a parent in a similar position to us talk so candidly about what it is like to be a parent of a special needs child. 

Most of the parents that I know are "card carrying" members of the Phelan McDermid army. Most have drunk the cool aid and have re-invented their lives to evolve around their special needs child.n The campaigns, t-shirts and positivity can sometimes be a bit too much for me, when I think about the impact that he has had on my hopes and dreams. Don't get me wrong, I love him to bits, but part of me died the day I found out about his condition.


Reading about Noah and hearing his brother talk about him has given me another opportunity to talk about what we are going through with Nicholas. Josh Greenfeld was a successful writer and he talks about the impact of Noah on his life, his career and his family. I was very sad to read that he recently passed away, but I was glad that he took the time to share his story with us all.

His brother Karl Tao Greenfeld is a successful author and wrote a book what what it is like to be a brother to a non-verbal autistic. "Boy Alone" outlines his journey and is the fourth book written about Noah. I often wonder about what is like for my daughter to have some of these similar experiences, to love a sibling that in effect won't return their affection in the same way. She is, in effect, an only child.


No comments: