Tuesday 14 January 2020

Bushfire Blocks: Quilting for Charity

I received a message from a friend about the bushfire blocks that the Wollongong Modern Quilt Guild are putting together. It seems doable and something that I can do!

Here is what they have posted as inspiration!


"Wollongong MQG are asking for "tree blocks" as they are symbolic of life, nourishment and regrowth. There is no restriction to one type of tree block. Feel free to improvise. The below quilt blocks have been designed and supplied for inspiration, but please feel free to use your own tree-based ideas and colours."



"If you would like to help, please make a tree block of a generous 12.5 inch square using a low volume / white or pale grey background. Once completed please send to:

Wollongong Modern Quilt Guild
PO Box 54
Jamberoo, New South Wales 
AUSTRALIA 2533

We are going to distribute the quilts made to the families who have lost everything.

We would like to ask that blocks be mailed for arrival by the end of February. We thank you in advance for your support."

I did a bit of hunting and found some more ideas for tree blocks that you might want to consider ...

From gathered

I found this one on Pintrest, but couldn't find the original source.




Here is another paper patched block, you could do one design per block for the challenge.


Or if you want to show the love, a hearts and hands tree.

I've also been thinking that this is a very "Curlypops" initiative and it made me reflect on the hottie challenge that I did years ago. It is coming up to the one year anniversary of Cam dying and I still see her everything crafty that I do.

"What would Curlypops do?" she would make as many quilt blocks as humanly possible for this challenge.

Good luck with the challenge.

No comments: