Friday 31 December 2010

2010 My Year in Craft

Following on from the tradition of last year, here is my Year in Craft ..

1. In my twelve months of crafting, my crafty self made all these...



I ended up making way too many bags and I also started to make patchwork blankets which I thoroughly enjoy. I still haven't perhaps found the "killer product" that rewards me adequately for the effort but I will plod along creating and crafting!



2. If my year was a colour it would be...

It certainly started off a bit black, having suffered a miscarriage in December 2009 and all the baggage that goes along with that. But we are now happily looking forward to early February when we will celebrate the arrival of our second child into the world. So the colour now is definately a positive yellow!

3. This year I spent way too many craft hours...

The challenge with my year is that I didn't have as many craft hours as I had hoped for! Having signed up to do writing in mid 2009, I somehow managed to write three chapters of two textbooks while trying to run a house, take care of a toddler, teach part time and sew for a business.

Crafty things have probably suffered as a result of my writing and teaching throughout the year. I started Northside Makers with Jenni and Jay in 2009 with great ambitions to do lots of things. But as each of us pursued different opportunities, the spare time that we had used to run Northside Makers was quickly gobbled up. Perhaps in 2011 being on maternity leave, I can find some time again to pursue this project.

4. This year I wish I'd had more craft hours for...

I have too many ideas, I admit it. My ideas folder is overflowing and my sewing room is a reflection of this. I have lots of ideas for future projects to make my household a reflection of my craftiness, so hopefully I will have time for this.

5. My proudest craft moment of the year was...



The quilts that I have finished throughout the year for orders or personal presents. I have found fulfilment in creating something unique from scratch. I love the mathematical nature of quilts.

6. My biggest craft disaster was...

There was a few presents that I attempted when I was too tired or not focused, they are sitting in my "unpick" box ... never to be photographed, never to see the light of day ...

7. This year I had stalls at/visited this many markets...



I had stalls at many markets Made n Thornbury, Northside Makers, Craft Hatch, Goth and Punk Market and managed to visit many local and country markets along the way.

8. My most enjoyable market was...


The one with the most amount of fun was definately the Goth and Punk Market. How could it not be with The Resignators playing!

9. My best handmade purchase/present/swap/acquisition was...

My hubby got me a gorgeous Victoria Mason necklace for Christmas and a few weeks earlier I had a chance to talk to her about her creations. So the present is very special to me.

10. After this year I swear I'll never again...

I was going to write "take on too much", but I have already done that with baby/house/business already in the works. Hey, I would much rather be busy than bored!

11. Next year I'm determined to...



Finish my daughters Paintbox Quilt. I have been saying this for the last year and every once in a while I get some energy and spend a few hours and then I get bogged down in market preparation, teaching or writing. I have no teaching scheduled for 2011, no writing (except personal projects) and no markets scheduled until I get the baby thing under control. So I will make a large effort to get it finished.

12. But I'll probably do this instead...

I'll probably still be finishing it at the end of the year!

----

I wish you and your craft all the very best for the 2011.

1 comment:

Thea said...

Hi Margaret, people like us will never be able to sit still. Have a Happy New Year and all the best to your growing family. x