Sunday 21 February 2010

More Patchwork

It was far too hot in Melbourne yesterday and my study is not the coolest room in the house. But if I put a fan in the hall and point it into my sewing studio, then I can do some sewing work for a little while.

So I stole a few moments from the manuscript writing that I was meant to be doing and tried the pink patchwork combination again. It is meant to get to 32 degrees today, but at the moment there is a lovely cool breeze outside filtering into my study. So it is manuscript writing time again while the weather is good, the husband is sleeping and the daughter is entertained with Bear in the Big Blue House ...



I tried the pink colour scheme again, but with different blocks and a black sash around the outside to see how it would work. This method of making 9 blocks (each square is 2 1/2 inches x 2 1/2 inches, the rectangles are 2 1/2 x 6 1/2) is quicker and easier to make up, but I like the first version of random patterns in the squares. There is no real method to my patching madness, I tend to just start cutting and sewing ...

I've put aside some pink gingham for the back and again, some black and white striped bias for the sides. My big decision now is how to stipple them and I will probably use cotton or bamboo batting. The sashes might have colour specific stippling on top and perhaps white stipple for the patches inside. I am not too sure at the moment, so I will let them hang there in my sewing studio for a while until I decided.

Hoping to have these quilted and few more things in this colour scheme done for my March Northside Makers Market stall.


3 comments:

Jennie said...

I prefer that combination of borders to the earlier one. I think the black right next to the blocks frames them more effectively.

Kate said...

I have been using bamboo recently and it has a lovely drape. It does seem to want to pill quit a bit tho!

Gigi's Thimble said...

Love this patchwork quilt and your darling bags in the post above. Great job on your projects!