Sunday 23 January 2011

Monochromatic Sampler

I've been kicking around a few ideas for a quick quilt project for the new baby. I remember reading all about infant eye developement when we had Victoria and how when babies are born they cannot see in colours, only black and white. As their eyes develop, they can see grey and then depth perception develops.

Using the following site as inspiration, it seems like an ideal opportunity to do a touch of quilting with some techniques that I haven't used before, such as creating a pin wheel. There is only one block that is appliqued, which is the stars. Every other block is using patchwork techniques, hence the idea of calling it a sampler.



Given that I am not a "deer and bunnies" quilter, a monochromatic quilted wall hanging beside the cot seems like a good idea to me. I haven't quite got my head around how I might join these pieces, but I might start making the blocks and see where it leads me.

I have two weeks to finish this project!

4 comments:

willywagtail said...

Asides of the night/day one, it looks like you are using a white border or sashing around each one. I think that looks good the way it is. Cherrie

Anonymous said...

It's a great idea, bubs is going to love it!

-Katharine

chocolatetrudi said...

The pieces I saw of this on Saturday looked fabulous. So crisp and sophisticated. I love black and white and, as my mum would say, "it's very 'in' right now".

Feronia said...

Looks great!