Saturday 6 March 2010

Studio Spaces, oh how I covet thee!

Last week Tori and I visited a friend at her studio space at Ironside Studio's in Kensington.


A lovely complex with a communal feel and is filled with budding artists and business people trying to get their "big break". Ms Pepperberry has her room set up quite nicely with an office space and a sewing space. I was jealous of the room that she had and the fact that she can pull the door closed at the end of the day and there is no risk of ducking in for a quick sewing adventure!



As you can see it is located inside the shell of an old building ... nice place for photo's!



Recently another friend, Polly Pratt, has secured a studio at the back of the Olive Grove, she has made the big move from the kitchen table to a studio. I can imagine the harmony that a move like that might make to my household!

Doing a quick search, there are a number of web sites such as Creative Spaces that list studio spaces for artists. They have a section called Established Spaces which lists studios similar to Ironside. There are also complexes around such as as the Brunswick Business Incubator and the Appleton Street Studios in Richmond that might suit some crafty types.

It is no secret that I work from home, I have converted my front room and walk in robe into a sewing space. I have a 2 1/2 year old, so working from home gives me flexibility. I also know a lot of other people who successfully work from home running web publishing, graphic design and writing businesses.

Having a 10 second commute from the home to office can have it's positives, but also it's negatives especially if you are a crafty worker.

2 comments:

Beky said...

There is some lovely studios there, but I must admit working from home is perfect. Close to my sons school and I don't have to commute and use petrol.

Little Cooties said...

I have to say that as much as I would love to have a studio elsewhere, I love that I can pop in to my work space with the kids are asleep, or playing happily in the garden and i can work for 20 minutes. i wouldn't be able to do that if my work space was off site.
One day perhaps....