Monday 6 July 2009

Sonny and Coco Autopsy

Yesterday was my second stand at the very new Sonny and Coco in Preston Town Hall.



It was a pity that the market was on a day when a) it was freezing b) the middle of school holidays and c) one of the most popular footy matches was on. So the market was very very quiet. I did about 80% of my sales before lunch and spent after lunch pinning a quilt to the backing fabric. Mum came in to do the lunch shift for me so that I could go around and buy some goodies and chat to other stall owners (thankyou Mum *hugs*).



My wonderfully patient husband who puts up with all my pre-market anxiety crap, painted the two Ikea draws red and black to use on the stall. The draws added a bit of height to the stall and allowed me to do a bit of display work, using the draws to create interest and they were heavy enough to rest things up on. I was pleased with the look, but a few functional improvements need to be made to the next stall layout. I grabbed some of the japanese laquerware bowls that we had to put my hair ties and clips into.

I ended up doing the screen printing that I wanted to do this week onto the American Apparel baby/toddler tops that I bought online (sizes 3-6months, 6-12 months, 12-18 months 18-24 months). I opted for the American Apparel tops as I know that they wash up well and last.



In addition to the baby/todder tops we also had cufflinks and the little notelettes that I made from groovy out of copyright movie posters.

Despite the slowness of the market, it was a good exercise in getting things organised and making more stock to sell. My next market is the very busy Sisters Market in Brunswick Town Hall on the 1st of August. This market lands in the middle of the teaching term, so it is good that I have all my stock made and ready to go.

Will I do Sonny and Coco again? I am not sure. My market calendar is looking very busy from now until Christmas, so I am not sure if I will have the time. It is within my best interests to have stalls at markets where I know I will sell.

4 comments:

Jennie said...

I'm wondering if instead of trying to get myself a market every month, I should think like a market shopper: would I rather visit a market in a town hall in winter, or a market in an open spot on a summer's evening? My chat with Samantha Sultana kicked off this chain of thought.

CurlyPops said...

I love the new look of the stall. The added height is fabulous. What a pity it was so quiet though.

Finki said...

Your stall looked fabulous, great use of height and lots to look at. I really wish my cash flow was better so I could have gotten some of your screen print tops for Finn, but I think we have the same summer market schedule, so we'll meet again soon. (:
Re: sonny and coco...i'm questioning my return also!

Lauren said...

What a shame it was quiet...The stall looks great from the pics!