Tuesday 29 June 2010

Finished Car playmat Quilt at last!

It really has been so cold here in Melbourne. Even though my market was indoors on Sunday I was still cold, probably symptomatic of the cold I am coming down with.

In between sales I sat and hemmed the binding around the Car playmat Quilt I have been painstakingly making for my daughter. Finally finished, I can sit back and bask in the loveliness of finishing yet another quilt.



Tori has already had fun playing with the quilt with her cars and walking up and down it like she would be walking down a street.



I chose a Michael Miller stripe for the bias. I still haven't quite got the hang of doing the binding as a continuous strip of fabric, so I sew all 4 sides separately and when stitching make sure that my corners are nice and neat. I like the look of a handstitched bias ...

For those who are interested, I used some strips from a Happy Campers Jelly Roll, some strips from a Breath of Avignon Jelly Roll, some Kona solids. The trains were a Japanese print I got ages ago. The roads are black homespun and the road signs are a print that again, I bought ages ago from GJ's in East Brunswick.



I backed the fabric with some 100% wool blanket weave, but if you wanted to re-purpose a blanket you could do that as well. I have a bit of woolen fluff coming through on the hand stitching, but I hope that with a wash it might disappear.



The car signs are appliqued on using the trapunto method that Don't look now uses in her quilts. Sewing the applique onto a batting back and then trimming around the applique.

The quilt was hand quilted used Perle in black and white. Now that I have a ironed out all the mistakes and perfected the round corners on the road, I am hoping to make another one, but this time it might be a bit quicker in construction!


This is how cold it is in Melbourne, both my female cats curled up with each other ...

6 comments:

Jennie said...

At long last! It looks fab.

Anonymous said...

Fabulous, fabulous, fabulous quilt!

CurlyPops said...

It must be such a sense of achievement to finally finish, and it looks fab!

Anonymous said...

very nice quilt. The only thing missing is a little pocket to put the cars in once the children have finished playing with it or if they want to travel with it. I think I will try to do it for my little boy, I soon as I finish the other projects I am working on of course.

Marie said...

I found time to make one. Thanks so much for the idea.
http://mcvallet.blogspot.com/2010/10/dont-peek.html

Quin said...

A ton of fun and one of several at Zen Road Rugs.