Sunday 6 February 2011

Housekeeping Pouch

Just like many housholds we have a housekeeping budget each week. For the last few weeks my hubby has been using a Japanese pouch with velvet on the back of it. Lovely pouch but not very manly when he goes shopping!

So as part of my sewing warmup yesterday before I got stuck into another block for my Monochromatic Sampler, I made a replacement wallet. A bit more manly with many more functions.

Do other people have little "sewing warmup tasks" or is it just me?



My hubby chose the fabric from my stash .. and then proceeded to sing the tacky 80s song "space invaders".


via Youtube

If you are a regular reader of my blog, you will know that I love all things geeky and crafty and would love to attempt a space invaders quilt one day.



I seemed to have an excess of red 5 inch zips, so I used one of those and made the inside red as well. The latch on the size is to attach keys or attach to the shopping trolley.



I added a PVC pouch to the back of the pouch for the shopping list so that it doens't get lost. Hubby also decided that it would be a good place for receipts as well.

A few tid bits about the mini-project;
  • Size of the fabric rectangle I used was 6 inches by 4 inches with a 1/4 inch seam allowance.
  • I always use interfacing to line the front of the pouch, gives it a bit of rigidity.
  • Back of the pouch is cotton drill.
  • Latch is attached with heading tape.
  • PVC pouch on the back is attached by cutting tissue paper the same size, sewing the perimeter and then removing tissue paper carefully (sometimes with tweesers). I have found this to be the most carefree way of sewing PVC. I have used teflon feet, talc and all sorts of techniques. At the end of the day, I love my tissue paper!
I might make a few of these for my online shop when it becomes operational again!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That's a fantastic idea - and very practical!

Anonymous said...

I love it and am now singing a Space Invaders song.